Monday, February 4, 2013

Yee Sang 鱼生

Pin It Now!
Pin It
Yee Sang is a popular festive dish contains variety of colourful prosperous ingredients which usually served on the 7th day of Chinese New Year. These ingredients are tossed together with a sweet dressing and raw fish. Now days raw salmon and smoked salmon are commonly used. The act of tossing the salad together symbolises ushering of prosperity and abundance for the New Year. 

After comparing Yee Sang dressing recipes I found mostly use plum sauce as main ingredient. The salads and condiments are pretty much same. Since plum sauce comes in bottle, it is hassle free to make own dressing. After knowing how to prepare I think I won't order anymore from restaurant :D I'm glad I can prepare Yee Sang in my kitchen.


Ingredients:
fresh fish fillet, salmon or any white fish of your choice
(I used salmon, not shown in photos)

~Vegetables
Carrot, peeled and julienned
Daikon, peeled and julienned
Cucumber, remove seed and julienned
Big red chilli, remove seed and julienned
Shallots, peeled and slice thinly
Coriander leaves, cut 
Spring onion, cut
Homemade pickled ginger
Candied ginger(store bought)

*It will be great if adding pomelos or grapefruits


~Condiments
Fried wanton wrappers (cut wrapper into strips and fry)
Toasted peanuts
Toasted white sesame seeds


Dressing adapted and slightly modified from Adam Liaw
~Dressing
75g plum sauce
1 tablespoon honey
juice of 2 limes
1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 tablespoon shallot oil
*add together and mix well
¼ teaspoon five spice powder

¼ teaspoon pepper

Methods:
1. Arrange all the ingredients into sections on a large serving platter.

2. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.



3. When about to serve, pour dressing over the salad. Sprinkle five-spice powder and pepper. Add in fried wonton wrappers, toasted peanuts and sesame seeds. Dinners simultaneously toss the salad high with chopsticks.



8 comments:

  1. Love your plum sauce idea, i will try making it for cny this year, thanks! Its so nice to have homemade yee sang, makes such a difference and taste so much better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! My favourite CNY salad. Will try your dressing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian,

    For the first time, I saw a Yee Sang kit at an Asian grocery at Melbourne and thought of buying this for our CNY celebration. Then, I realised that we are spending our CNY weekend at Lorne and decided not to buy it anymore...

    Noe seeing your post, I don't even need to buy the kit anymore :D

    Btw, of course you can submit your pineapple salad post to Little Thumbs Up, Feb... as long as you have pineapple in your salad... LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to eat this - it's so fresh and appetising when paired with the nice tangy dressing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will try to make this for CNY. Thank you for sharing.


    Jessie Oi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vivian, this is really gorgeous. Love all the colours. I want to make this too, probably next year... as really rushed for time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks healthy and delicious, I must try it this year, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. * clap clap * for making your own yee sang! i've eaten quite a few rounds...all at the restaurant! i do hope i can make my own yee sang one day too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...